Wednesday, May 24, 2006

ANWR, Russ Feingold, Mayflies, Bird Omens

First, I've got an action item for you related to ANWR - from an e-mail from Dennis Kucinich:


ACT NOW To stop drilling in ANWR!

Once again, some of our elected Representatives are pushing to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge [ANWR].

On May 19th, Rep Pombo, Richard W. [R] introduced H.R.5429, “To direct the Secretary of the Interior to establish and implement a competitive oil and gas leasing program that will result in an environmentally sound program for the exploration, development, and production of the oil and gas resources of the Coastal Plain of Alaska, and for other purposes.” [Summary of the bill and links to more information below]

=========================
Urgent Action Needed:

It is expected that Rep Pombo will try to force a vote on this bill this week, maybe as early as Wednesday, May 24th (tomorrow or today, depending on when you read this), which calls for drilling in the Arctic Refuge.

We would like to urge you to contact your representative and make certain they know that you want them to oppose this bill and any drilling in ANWR. There may be some Representatives who would like to return to their districts during the upcoming break and claim they helped lower gas prices by voting for this bill.

Remind them that drilling in the Arctic Refuge will lower gas prices only a penny a gallon in 2025.
Congress should oppose drilling in ANWR and focus on developing clean, renewable energy resources, along with promoting fuel efficiency.

It seems that some Representatives believe that if they keep bringing Arctic Refuge drilling up for a vote over and over again, eventually you will give up! We urge you not to.

Congressman Kucinich won't give up the fight to stop the drilling. And neither should you. We can stop this.

Please forward this email to your family and friends who may want to help preserve one of the last unspoiled places in the world


=========================
Contact Help:

You can call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to be instantly connected to your Representative. Or you can use the form at the House website here: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

A lot of supporters also like to use the Congress.org site for contacting their elected officials. You will find it here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Use whichever method you are most comfortable with, just don’t put it off. Please call or write them now. We can stop this. Please forward this email to your family and friends who may want to help preserve one of the last unspoiled places in the world


-----------------------------------

I received a fundraising e-mail from the DSCC purportedly authored by Russ Feingold. I called both his D.C. office and his campaign office to let them know I was unhappy with the DSCC's early interference in Minnesota, and that I thought he would find more support in a Sen. Ford Bell than a Sen. Klobuchar as his new colleague in the Senate from Minnesota (but I don't think Klobuchar can be elected if endorsed, anyway).

I told them that I think I would like to see him make some effort for parity in funds and support for Bell from the DSCC in order for him to have my full support in any 2008 presidential bid. (I currently have a Russ Feingold for President bumpersticker).

Anyway, Feingold deserve support now, and the combination of Wyden, Feingold and Bayh voting against the Senate Intelligence Committee recommendation for confirmation of General Hayden carries weight with me.
I recommend people familiarize themselves with the issues related to Hayden's confirmation. Briefly, it seems that independence from the Pentagon, and from John Negroponte, are issues. We need someone with a civilian background, and HUMINT experience. I'd try to find a career CIA officer...

------------------------------

It is mayfly season on Lake Beltrami. Gardening today I noticed a Northern Flicker watching me pull grass out of of bed full of Smilacina and Streptopus. I saw a Great Blue Heron cruising over the lake. As a child, I got candy when my father spotted a great blue heron. Must have been some strange custom he picked up in Burma, but the Greater Sundas have tribes that act on bird omens too, as I believe the first nations in this area did. In the past, I've enjoyed good luck on days when I've seen flickers in the yard. I am thinking today will probably be a very good day.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home