Friday, July 14, 2006

Why we can't vote for Klobuchar in November...

We can't vote for Klobuchar in November. She stands for prolonging the war. Her stances butress the arguments of Rumsfeld. She has no moral authority, no will to challenge the obvious wrongs that are being done in our name, with our tax dollars, daily.

Remember the war? If you are like me you can't really bear to confront or process any more information about it. Despite my campaigning for Peace First! and peace candidates like Dr. Ford Bell (the quitter) and Senator Becky Lourey (the spunky, merciful champion who needs your help to win on September 12th), I am not likely to click on news stories about Iraq. I am tired of the bad news, tired of hearing about the latest atrocity, the last soldier or marine or airman to die in Iraq. The fact that a 22 year old will be buried next week in my Senate District, a casualty of a roadside bomb, has shaken me from my grief and apathy briefly, but I am not easily able to seek information on Iraq, to click on the latest Google News on Iraq, and I can't fault anyone else for not doing the same.

I will fault people for supporting Amy Klobuchar and not fully weighing the gravity of the decision to gloss over the reality of the intensifying march to war on a wider , regional scale in the Middle East. I will fault people for saying that the electability argument made by Michael Meurs and others in their greedy push for Klobuchar delegates and to push Ford Bell out of the primary, that that is somehow worth extra days in Iraq, extra lives lost. The centrists in the DFL have to find their hearts, deal with their greed and guilt, and we need to find a real senate candidate by Tuesday, a real spokesperson for peace, sustainability, and freedom as Democrats and other progressives understand freedom.

Some atrocities from Iraq recounted by an Iraqi girl blogger in this Baghdad Burning post that includes the question:

Why don't the Americans just go home? They've done enough damage and we hear talk of how things will fall apart in Iraq if they 'cut and run', but the fact is that they aren't doing anything right now. How much worse can it get? People are being killed in the streets and in their own homes- what's being done about it? Nothing. It's convenient for them- Iraqis can kill each other and they can sit by and watch the bloodshed- unless they want to join in with murder and rape.


If I vote in November, I am not going to be able to 'hold my nose' and vote for Klobuchar. I will vomit, like the Jude Law character (Brad Stand - "How am I not myself?") in I Heart Huckabees when he was forced to tell his untruthful, but popular story about Shania Twain one too many times.

Technorati Tag: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Cleland said...

www.cavlan.org

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home