Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Lebanon, then Aceh

If everything comes together nicely, within the next few weeks I will be headed to Lebanon for three or four weeks, and then travel on to continue work on my projects in Indonesia's Aceh province.

So I will start outlining my goals and my fundraising and materials requirements, and informing my faithful readers of some of the problems that face resettement of displaced persons in these areas ofconflct and humanitarian disaster.

For me, the frightening thing about Lebanon now is the huge number of unexploded cluster bomblets that are still maiming and killing 3-4 people a day. See this report by the Mine Advisory Group: Lebanon: Imprisoned by Bombs

The reported large number of damaged roads and bridges reminds me of the tsunami in Aceh, but it is shocking to think that it was caused by human actions, by bombardment with human-fabricated destruction. You can find various maps and spreadsheets that detail this barrier to movement of humanitarian materials and resettlement here: http://www.unjlc.org/lebanon

That's it for today, but I'll have more information in the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home