Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Quitting the DFL, staying out of (partisan) politics for awhile

Last night at the Keith Ellison victory party, I told Brian Melendez and Donna Cassutt that I was quitting the DFL.

I am happy for Ellison's victory, and for the success of those that worked so hard on his campaign, but I strongly feel that the means by which Hatch initially secured the DFL endorsement are unsupportable, and I feel very much divorced from a party that would ratify that by more democratic means in a primary - defending a candidate that refused to debate, refused to address issues that drove both Keith Ellison and Becky Lourey's campaign, refused to lead on progressive values and challenge Minnesota's voters to engage in the process (voting and caucusing) and to confront head-on the wrong-headed ideas of the GOP opposition.

There are obviously more effective ways to work for peace and inform public policy that are more successful than politics and electioneering, especially seeing some evidence that slick TV ads trump the "Wellstone Way" model of campaigning.

Sorry to disappoint those of you who hoped I might do more for our area, but I really couldn't do it all alone. I am going to try to stay out of politics for a while...

-Soren

5 Comments:

Blogger Norwegianity said...

Take care and use your sabbatical for some healing time. Politics sucks and no one should do it for more than four years at a stretch, not in the intense way you've pursued it.

Enjoy life and stay clear of DFL meetings!

10:31 AM  
Blogger BJHokanson said...

Congratulations!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

You've said the words we're all saying.
-Krista

4:13 PM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

4:45 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

It was nice to meet you at DL last night. I wish you well in you future adventures. An I thought you've linked to me and I was right all the way at the bottom. . .the bit about Mark Ritchie.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home