Monday, September 25, 2006

Ramadan mubarak!

Ramadan - daily fasting begin this morning at sunrise. I am trying to fast, too, and holding up fine so far, despite temptations :)

The University of Minnesota Daily has an article about Ramadan at the U. The Detroit Free Press has a fast explanation of the practices and meaning of Ramadan.




Incapable of avoiding further violence, the Government of Israel reportedly intended (intends?) to assasinate Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrullah. Now that relief is progressing in Southern Lebanon, and Israeli troops are finally leaving, it seems like a bad policy to pursue further, with lots of Western aid workers on the ground, and UNIFIL contingents from France and other nations taking up their positions.




With the backing of President Bush, corporate leaders are funding private sector aid to Lebanon:


“At Cisco, we believe we have the responsibility to give back to others who are less fortunate or are facing difficult challenges – regardless of race, religion, gender, ethnicity or political persuasion. It's not about right or wrong; it's about doing what is needed and making a difference,” said John Chambers, president and CEO, Cisco Systems. “Cisco’s philanthropy has spanned many areas – from establishing networking academies around the world to providing support in the wake of natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina and the Southeast Asia tsunami. The situation in Lebanon is of great concern to us, and it is our goal to support the reconstruction effort in Lebanon and in turn help provide greater access to education and economic opportunity. By focusing on long-term solutions, we hope to contribute to a better future for this region.


Once, in San Francisco, at the W Hotel, on the eve of an interview with Oracle, I got really insanely drunk, and part of that night was spent drinking with John Chambers. The next day I either was interviewing for the wrong job (it was with a more technical group of all Indian H1-B visa types, and their Indian manager suggested I try a management job), or I was still too drunk, a little late, and a tiny bit unprepared for the interview. I did know more about Java and Unix that my would be co-workers, but I felt that I was selling out and damaging my soul, that I should be doing something more humanitarian, in Asia, instead. I also told an off-color joke about an off color website that had made a false report that Larry Ellison had crashed his MiG fighter plane in the parking lot earlier that day. Slowly, I am becoming better behaved, and getting closer to my dreams.

Ramadan mubarak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home