Monday, March 19, 2007

Norwegianity: Slacker guru to employment seekers

I was a little rough in my last mention of Mark Gisleson over at Norwegianity.com, who can sometimes seem to me to be a pimp for the New York Times, and other distant (from Minnesota) and therefore untrustworthy media. Mark is at his best when he writes about what he now knows best, which is not blogging, or news, but the living hell that is the U.S. labor market. I don't trust it, and neither does he, but as the coach or author of 7,000 plus resumes for jobseekers, he is the expert. I am just another refusenik. I have really tried to refuse all work and income for the past 4 years, since the invasion of Iraq, becuase I don't want to pay taxes towards an unjust and unnecessary war. A war that Al Qaeda's Ibn al-Sheikh al-Libi tricked us into. A war of attrition that was instigated by the terrorists to defeat and distract us, and to topple their apostate Arab enemy, our hand picked dictator Saddam Hussein. But this post is about the job market, Mark, and not as much about me.

Mark has a tight new post about duplicity and nepotism in the hiring process.

Prevous posts that have been enlightening on work, hiring, interviewing, the rat race include this one: The Shame Industry.




The rational part of the brains of some people near me are saying I need to get a job. The radical, moral part of my brain equivocates work for income, and the taxes and economic friction that would generate with enlisting in the false fight against terror, which is really only for economic and military dominance in the Global War on Terror, not security of the homeland.

I've thought about that in literal terms, the paltry sums I charged Ford Bell, but the slightly more real sum of $9500.00 I once asked for would have been put towards liberating my transcript, paying down some of my bad credit, doing an expungement, and getting a security clearance that would have let me go to the Defense Language Institute on some sort of 97 or 98 series enlistment in the regular army. Ford Bell's stingyness has probably saved my life or my soul. If that matters.

Despite the obvious problems with fraud and oversold commitents from recruiters, the military is probably more fair, and the call to service there is more noble, than the bulk of the crap that you experience in the day-to-day wage slavery under corporate terms. Because of the obvious problems with misleading enlistment contracts, over-promised benefits, etc. the counter-recruitment efforts of the anti-war movement are a valuable service to potential enlistees and to policymakers.




There is always work like this: DynCorp+Somalia=Contractor jobs. And these: Reliefweb.int page for Somalia, jobs at the bottom.

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to build my Somali language vocabulary, to while away the long tropical nights in a mosquito proof enclosure, rereading Nuruddin Farah, and trying to learn how to sleep through distant mortar fire. However, I doubt that America can export peace and peacebuilding, credibly, until we stop exporting war and armaments, and stop projecting preconcieved notions upon the world from a narrow political perspective. It may not be a risk worth taking, or a presence welcomed by the locals.

I'll keep surfing the luck plane. I will dry up & be silent, I will not sit here & count blessings which mathematics cannot comprehend. That may never look good on a resume, but I feel it is the only thing I can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home