Saturday, September 06, 2008

If you cannot cross the border - stick around, overthrow the New World Order

Friday night I attended the Coldsnap Cabaret Benefit for RNC Arrestees, which was billed as "Fabulous, sexy, and still family-friendly!". It was the first time I visited the Convergence Space, a site raided by Ramsey Co. Sheriff Bob Fletcher on Friday August 29th, and it was the most wonderful night of theatrical and musical entertainment I have experienced in a long time. It reminded me a lot of who I am and who I used to be. I wished from the moment the show began that I had someone to share it with - someone who once appreciated how I appear to be larger than life, someone I sat through so many lesser political events with, someone I wanted to tell my whole story to - someone I imagine needed to hear the call of the opening act, sung by a 7 year old named Nara:

What good is sitting alone in your room?
Come hear the music play.
Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Put down the knitting,
The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Come taste the wine,
Come hear the band.
Come blow your horn,
Start celebrating;
Right this way,
Your table's waiting


The event was MC'ed by a beautiful, bearded lady named "Jessie Sparkles", a lady Jesus in a tiara and combat boots, which seemed cosmically significant to me because the person I miss so much today is the person I have mythologized as "Lady Jesus" in part because of her name. I could have fallen in love with Jessie Sparkles though, or did for the rest of that evening.

A 70 year old poet named "Diamond Dave" followed, then an amazing poet by the name of Ruth Kohtz (the blond in the pic in this page), whose lines included:

looking for a cause in others' bedrooms...
I stayed up past eleven, I started smoking.

and if you can believe it, I'm still not sure if I'm an activist

because I've been around enough to know that being secretly in love with an anarchist
does not make you one

my cause is showing up to work sober


The Dapper Cadavers played an old Townes Van Zandt tune:



At some point Jessie Sparkles told a joke:

Why do anarchists drink only herbal tea?

Because property is theft!


And then Fanny Smack of Bench Press Burlesque performed a misfit striptease, waking up to an alarm clock ringing, slipping out of sweet pajamas and getting dressed up into a full black bicycle punk/anarchist uniform complete with petzl headlamp, while punctuating her progress with stockings and zippers with poses and pouts, then finally dancing about the room brandishing the components of a molotov cocktail. Before the RNC I would have found this alarming, an incitement to riot, afterwards, it seemed more like good-natured satire of the media treatment and pervasive, out of control rumors.

An aging Vegas Showgirl performed hits from the DNC related anarchist gatherings, including a piece with a line that hits too close to home:

"If you cannot cross the border - stick around, overthrow the New World Order"

And the Nancy Drew Crew finished with one bad song I have heard on the Current, and one I hadn't heard but really liked, College, Inc. Education should be free!

The fundraiser raise more than $534 for Coldsnap Legal Collective and their work on behalf of the RNC arrestees. If you were arrested, contact them and attend one of their arrestee meetings. If you took photos or videos of the protests, Coldsnap lawyers may need them. There is another fundraiser at the Convergence Space tonight (Sunday, September 7th) a dinner for $10-15.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home